Grover Washington Jr. - Sacred Kind Of Love (The Columbia Recordings) (1987-99) (5CD Box Set, 2019)Lossless
Artist: Grover Washington Jr. Title Of Album Sacred Kind Of Love Year Of Release: 1968/1990 Label (Catalog#) : SoulMusic [SMCR5186BX] Country: USA Genre: Soul Jazz, Jazz Funk, Smooth Jazz, Pop, R&B Quality: FLAC (tracks + cue,log) Total Time: 05:44:09 Total Size: 2.07Gb
• SoulMusic Records is very proud to present “Sacred Kind Of Love: The Columbia Recordings,” a 5-disc deluxe box set of six stellar albums, spanning nine years (1987-1996) by legendary saxophonist Grover Washington, Jr., justifiably considered an influential pioneer in fusing jazz, soul, R&B and pop and bringing his distinctive sound to mainstream audiences globally.
• After he signed with Columbia Records in 1986, Washington had already established himself as a leader in the genre known as ‘jazz/funk’ thanks to a series of ground breaking albums for Kudu Records (including “Mister Magic” and “Feels So Good”) in the mid-‘70s. The 1980 release of “Winelight,” Washington’s million-selling debut for Elektra Records (which contained the mega-hit ‘Just The Two Of Us’, featuring Bill Withers) marked a state change in the crossover appeal of what became known worldwide as ‘smooth jazz.’
• Four of the six albums –STRAWBERRY MOON (1987), TIME OUT OF MIND (1989), NEXT EXIT (1992) and SOULFUL STRUT (1996), his final LP for Columbia – achieved success on the U.S. R&B, jazz and pop charts, while two albums, 1988’s THEN AND NOW (with guest players such as Herbie Hancock, Ron Carter and Grady Tate) and 1994’s ALL MY TOMORROWS (featuring Eddie Henderson, Bobby Watson, Hank Jones, Robin Eubanks and Billy Hart) were both critically acclaimed by audiences demonstrating Grover’s skill as a ‘straight ahead’ jazz musician of the first order.
• Various special guest vocal performances by Jean Carne (‘The Look Of Love’, ‘Keep In Touch’), Phyllis Hyman (‘Sacred Kind Of Love’), B.B. King (‘Caught A Touch Of Your Love’), Nancy Wilson (‘Your Love’), Lalah Hathaway (‘Love Like This’) and The Four Tops’ Levi Stubbs (‘Till You Return To Me’) are among the many highlights of Grover’s tenure with Columbia Records along with bonus tracks, ‘Protect The Dream’ (originally released on the CD version of TIME OUT MIND); ‘Every Day A Little Death’, (from the 1995 Sony album, “Color And Light: Jazz Sketches On Sondheim”); ‘Heat Index’ and ‘The Night Fantastic’, both originally included on “Prime Cuts,” a Columbia Records’ compilation released in 1999, the year Grover passed away at the age of 56.
• “Sacred Kind Of Love: The Columbia Recordings” includes detailed liner notes by renowned UK writer Charles Waring that include comments from Ramsey Lewis; a personal tribute to Washington by reissue producer and SoulMusic.com founder David Nathan; with first class mastering by Nick Robbins and superb artwork by Roger Williams.
Tracks: ------- CD:1 STRAWBERRY MOON 1. STRAWBERRY MOON 2. THE LOOK OF LOVE (Feat. Jean Carne) 3. SHIVAREE RIDE 4. CAUGHT A TOUCH OF YOUR LOVE 5. MADDIE’S BLUES 6. I WILL BE HERE FOR YOU 7. MONTE CARLO NIGHTS 8. KEEP IN TOUCH (Feat. Jean Carne) 9. SUMMER NIGHTS THEN AND NOW 10. BLUES FOR D.P. 11. JUST ENOUGH 12. FRENCH CONNECTIONS 13. SOMETHING BORROWED, SOMETHING BLUE 14. LULLABY FOR SHANA BLY
CD:2 THEN AND NOW (Cont.) 1. STOLEN MOMENTS 2. IN A SENTIMENTAL MOOD 3. STELLA BY STARLIGHT TIME OUT OF MIND 4. JAMAICA 5. GRAMERCY PARK 6. SACRED KIND OF LOVE (Feat. Phyllis Hyman) 7. BRAND NEW AGE 8. FLY AWAY 9. DON’T TAKE YOUR LOVE FROM ME 10. TIME OUT OF MIND 11. SPLIT SECOND (ACT II, THE BAR SCENE) 12. NICE-N-EASY 13. UNSPOKEN LOVE BONUS TRACK 14. PROTECT THE DREAM
CD:3 NEXT EXIT 1. TAKE FIVE (ANOTHER FIVE) 2. YOUR LOVE 3. ONLY FOR YOU (SIEMPRE PARA D’SERA) 4. GREENE STREET 5. NEXT EXIT 6. I MISS HOME 7. LOVE LIKE THIS (Feat. Lalah Hathaway) 8. SUMMER CHILL 9. TILL YOU RETURN TO ME 10. GET ON UP 11. CHECK OUT GROVER ALL MY TOMORROWS 12. E PRECISO PERDOAR 13. WHEN I FALL IN LOVE 14. I’M GLAD THERE IS YOU 15. HAPPENSTANCE
CD:4 1. ALL MY TOMORROWS 2. NATURE BOY 3. PLEASE SEND ME SOMEONE TO LOVE 4. OVERJOYED 5. FLAMINGO 6. FOR HEAVEN’S SAKE 7. ESTATE (“ESS-TAH-TAY”) (IN SUMMER) BONUS TRACK 8. EVERY DAY A LITTLE DEATH (FROM A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC)
CD:5 1. SOULFUL STRUT 2. CAN YOU STOP THE RAIN 3. PLAY THAT GROOVE FOR ME 4. BORDERTOWN 5. I CAN COUNT THE TIMES 6. VILLAGE GROOVE 7. HEADMAN’S HAUNT 8. POACHER MAN 9. MYSTICAL FORCE 10. UPTOWN BONUS TRACKS 11. HEAT INDEX 12. THE NIGHT FANTASTIC
Personnel: ----- Grover Washington: alto, tenor & soprano saxophone, synthesizer, electric piano; Jim Salamone: drum machine, electronic drums, percussion, keyboards; Ellen Cohen: wind chimes, bell tree; Tyrone Brown: electric bass; Jean Carne: vocal; B.B. King: guitar, vocal; James Lloyd: grand piano, synthesizer; James “Sid” Simmons: synthesizer, piano; Michael J. Powell: guitar; Elizabeth Hogue: vocal; Spencer Harrison: vocal; Joey DeFrancesco: grand piano, electric piano; Marcus Miller: instruments; Darryl Washington: drums, timbalas; Gerald Veasley: bass; Leonard “Dr.” Gibbs: congas, percussion; Richard Lee Steacker: guitar; Jason Miles: programming, synthesizer; Ron Carter: bass; Grady Tate: drums; Martin “Smitty” Smith: drums; Herbie Hancock: piano; Miguel Fuentes: percussion, congas; Igor Butman: tenor saxophone; Tommy Flanagan: piano; Philip Woo: keyboards, synthesizer; Randy Bowland: guitar; Daryl Burgee: percussion; Ronnie Foster: multi-instruments; Paula Holloway: vocal; Phyllis Hyman: vocal; Bill Jolly: keyboards, piano (electric), synthesizer; Donald Robinson: keyboards, producer; Ruben Rodriguez: bass; Ramsey Lewis: piano; James McBride: piano; Doc Powell: guitar; Nancy Wilson: vocals; Levy Stubbs: vocals; George Mraz: bass; Billy Hart: drums; Romero Lubambo: guitar; Steve Berrios: percussion; Hank Jones: piano; Eddie Henderson: trumpet, flugelhorn; Robin Eubanks: trombone; Lewis Nash: drums; Freddy Cole: vocal; Bobby Watson: alto saxophone; Jimmy Cozier: baritone saxophone; Earl Gardner: flugelhorn; Bobby LeVell: tenor saxophone; Cyro Baptista – percussion; Steve Bargonetti: guitar, keyboards, synthesizer; Pablo Batista: congas, percussion; Joe Bonadio: congas; Randy Bowland: guitar; Rick DePofi: tenor saxophone; Charlie Ernst: synthesizer; Mac Gallohon: trumpet; Norberto Goldberg: percussion; Andy Gravish: trumpet; Gary Haase: bass, drums, producer; Aaron Heick: flute, saxophone; Dann Huff: guitar; Dale Kelps: clarinet, flute, saxophone; Bakithi Kumalo: vocals; Dan Shea: bass, drums, keyboards, producer.